This soup is perfect for winter - it's packed with pro-Vitamin A carotenoid pigments (found in orange and yellow vegetables including carrots, pumpkin and sweet potato) which are known to enhance the immune system and give the skin a warm glow. You could also add some fresh or dried turmeric and/or ginger for additional immune-boosting benefits. I've added red lentils to give this soup a little extra protein, iron and zinc - all of which are essential for the optimal functioning of the immune system. It has just the right amount of spice from the curry paste to warm you up, and is rich and creamy thanks to the coconut milk.
The following makes a ridiculous quantity of soup, so please feel free to halve the recipe if you don't have much freezer space! The rough quantities will be 600g sweet potato, 250g pumpkin, 1/2 brown onion, 1 carrot, 1 cup red lentils, 1L water, 1 stock cube, 2 tbsp curry paste and 1/4 cup + 1/2 cup coconut milk, and will make 2L of soup.
Makes 4L (!) or approx. 8 large serves of 500mL
- 1.2kg/2.5lb orange-flesh sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 500g/1lb pumpkin, skin removed and diced
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups dried red lentils (these don't need to be soaked before using)
- 2L/2 quarts water
- 2x Massel (or other vegan brand) stock cubes
- 1/4 cup red or yellow curry paste (Make sure it doesn't have any fish sauce or other non-vegan ingredients. I used Thai Gourmet, which is also oil-free)
- 1/4 cup + 1 cup coconut milk
- To serve: chopped fresh coriander (cilantro), a little extra coconut milk, a sprinkle of Thai flavoured Fine Fettle Flecks
- Place a large stock or soup pot over medium-high heat and add the onion, curry paste and 1/4 cup of the coconut milk. Sauté, stirring constantly for a few minutes or until the coconut milk has evaporated and the curry paste is fragrant
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until all vegetables and lentils are soft
- Allow the soup of cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and blend on low speed until smooth. Alternatively, you could use an immersion (stick) blender straight in the soup pot
- Serve topped with fresh coriander, a swirl of coconut milk and a sprinkle of the Flecks. Enjoy!